4 Days / 3 Nights
The good life or Sumak Kausay means “full life” from the indigenous viewpoint, aspire to live well and live “better.“ This is possible when there is harmony between human beings with their past, their peers, their community, their roots culture, spirituality and nature, with the members of the kichwa community.
DAY 01: BL/D
Arriving at Napo Cultural Center, you have the outstanding chance to step onto the aboriginal territory of the kichwa Añangu community, whose members will welcome you with a traditional and refreshing ice cold “wayusa”, the local hotel manager will give quick instructions and immediately will take you to your comfortable room with views of the rainforest in order to get ready for the first activity in the afternoon. Hike along “Playas” trail to experience amazon wildlife for the first time in the river islands and shores amidst of one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.
Kayaking is also available as an optional activity for around 45 min. to enjoy an overwhelming and colorful sunset in the vastness of Napo River. Then head back to your cabin, rest a little bit and be prepared for a well-deserved dinner. After dinner sleep with the relaxing sounds of the amazon.
DAY 02: B/L/D
Early breakfast and then head in the motor boat to one of the highlights of Yasuni Biosphere Reserve, the parrot clay lick in the riverside of River Napo, bring your binoculars and camera lenses to see flocks of blueheaded, yellow-crowned parrots and even dusky-headed parakeets, from the boat. Then walk around 30 min, through “pericos” trail to reach the blind in the forest with a direct view to the amazing parakeet clay lick, which brings visitors face to face with up to 11 species of parrots and parakeets (including parrotlets and macaws), sometimes even mammals like howler monkeys, tapir and peccaries come to this place to drink water and get vital minerals for their body
We end this morning with a visit to the intercultural interpretation center “Kuri Muyu” which means golden seed in native language, handled by the women of the community also knows as “mamakuna” learn about the kichwa culture, crafts, customs and traditional use of natural resources directly from the people of the aboriginal community.
We return to the center of the community to have lunch at the dining hall and take a break in the lodge before hiking one hour in order to climb up the observation tower reaching 35 meters above the surface with high chances to spot a variety of birds, howler monkeys, squirrel monkeys, toucans, parrots and sloths. Time for dinner followed by a unique activity at Napo River, on board the ancestral catamaran to know more about their legends and traditional chants, while women grill some delicious snacks in the fire.
DAY 03: B/L/D
Enjoy the sunrise at breakfast, visit the sustainable community projects, talk about the worldview Kichwa Addition to medicinal and walk in the Mama Cuna road, excellent opportunity to see more wildlife, ceiba trees, strangler, bamboo cane, vines and shrubs endemic from Yasuní.
In the afternoon after a delicious local lunch paddle around “Añangu” stream, a black water ecosystem where you can spot monkeys jumping from tree to tree, caiman and sometimes even giant river otters trying to catch fish. Upon arriving you will have time to settle back and prepare for a traditional typical dinner to taste local flavors of the amazon, such as “maito” which is grilled fish wrapped in a “bijao” leaf and if you have an adventurous palate try the grilled worms of the “chonta” locally known as “chontakuru”. After dinner, prepare your flashlight for a night walk around the lodge to see different kind of insects, reptiles and even nocturnal mammals like the night monkeys.
DAY 04: B/
To close with a flourish, take part on the optional “wayusada” ritual, in which at dawn around 4:30 am is the time when the kichwa family share together the sacred “wayusa” and has been a way to past their ancient knowledge to the new generations, here you also share traditional chants and have the chance to “interpret dreams” with the wisest “mamakuna” at the community, a mystique experience indeed. Then head back for breakfast, while our staff pick you luggage for your return to Coca town, onboard our comfortable motor boats for the last chance to appreciate the Ecuadorian Rainforest landscape, until you reach “La Mision” river port.
B: Breakfast / L: Lunch / BL: Box Lunch / D: Dinner
Monday to Saturday (on Sunday extra charges apply)
TOUR SUMAK HUASI 4 days / 3 nights
PRICES PER PERSON AND DOES NOT INCLUDE IVA
Optional excursions are available such as hikes through different trails and forest types, canoe rides, exploring deeper areas of surrounding creeks with more wildlife possibilities, additional mammal clay lick excursion and handcraft workshop with the local community.
- Transfer by boat from Coca – Napo Cultural Center – Coca.
- Accommodation in Napo Cultural Center
- All meals (B: Breakfast L: Lunch D: Dinner)
- Entrance to The parrot clay licks
- Spanish guide
- All excursions and activities include in the trip
- Entrance to Yasuni National Park
- Airfare Quito-Coca-Quito (the cost is $256 at the moment) with assistance at the Quito airport
- Check in and transfer in & out in the city of Coca.
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic, Laundry, Internet, Tips or Anything not specified in the itinerary.
- Private guide in French or German (contact us for availability and price)
- The order of the visits could be altered, but it will not affect the content of the program. The schedules of the tickets and transports could be subject to modifications.
Really you can enjoy this kind of trip. The activities are not so difficult, hikes for 2 hours maximum, relaxing canoe trips are easy to do. Activities are recommend to all families, don´t need a great effort and you will enjoy more a natural and cultural place.
- Two or three pairs of lightweight long pants.
- Two or three long-sleeved lightweight shirts.
- Two or three T-shirts.
- One or two pairs of shorts (mostly for around the lodge).
- Lightweight sweater or jacket.
- Raingear (if you prefer not to use the ponchos provided).
- Three or four pairs of long cotton socks (long)*.
- One pair of sneakers and/or hiking boots.
- Sandals (Teva type or similar for around the lodge).
- A hat for sun protection (and that will stay on during windy boat rides).
- Take in consideration that bright colors might scare the animals.
- Small day pack for excursions. Zip lock-type plastic bags to cover optics or other gear.
- Camera/video gear if using film, lower ASA for open areas (50 or 100), higher ASA for forest (400 and up). [24 hour electricity (110v) is available for charging batteries and digital equipment.]
- Insect repellent. No inflammable sprays as they are not allowed by the airline. Sunscreen lotion with a high protection factor.
- Flashlight or headlamp bright enough for use.
- Personal toiletries and medications (carry medications with you when arriving and leaving the lodge).
- Extra batteries/film/video tapes as appropriate.
- Original passport (always good to have while traveling).
Credit card Visa, MasterCard and Diners for bar bills and cash (US$) for handicraft purchases.
The tour starts in Coca city or Francisco de Orellana. There is flight from Quito with Tame Airline leaving at 11h00 around 40 minutes to arrive. For the flight back to Quito the same is leaving 12h20 . The schedule is according to the Napo Cultural Center operations. When you arrive in the Coca´s airport a guide will pick you up there. Then, ride a comfortable motorboat for around 2 hours by the clear waters of Napo River, one of the main tributaries of the Amazon River and reach Añangu kichwa community where is located the Napo Cultural Center.
The Napo Cultural Center is located on the banks of the Napo River around 2 hours from Coca city within the Yasuni National park one of the most diverse area in the world. The Añangu community offers the opportunity to stay inside Yasuni National Park.
YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION
Use the form below to fill in your this tour interests. An advisor of Responsible Travel will get in touch with you with guidance and deals.